Eat the peel of vegetables ??? Eating fruit peels no problem with that, but eating carrot, squash and parsnips peels? There are limits!
Are you sure?
What do you think are the benefits of eating vegetable peels?
- It’s then much faster to prepare a soup or a vegetables stir-fried
- The peel of vegetables gives texture and body to a soup without the need to add potatoes
- Almost no waste!
- It contributes to improve health. Indeed, as they contain fibers, the peels are used to feed the microbiota, this organ that helps us to be healthier
Moreover, a major study commissioned by none other than the World Health Organization, recently revealed that a high fiber food intake totaling nearly 30 g* (see example of food) per day, led to a possible reduction of chronic diseases. Indeed, with such a high fiber food intake, there has been a 16 to 24% reduction in cases of heart disease, diabetes and colorectal cancer.
*Suggestion of foods to incorporate into your meals to aim for a minimum of 30 g of fiber per day. Knowing that more is even better!
- 3 Fruits all day long
- Quinoa, old-grain pasta or barley for dinner
- Half a plate of vegetables at lunch and diner (stir-fries, raw vegetables or soup)
If you’ve already made the habit of preserving the peel of vegetables, continue! You can now try the experience with turnips, squash and beets. No more red hands. In one cooking step your beets will be cooked and ready to serve .. with the peel! It will turn into a thin translucent layer, so fine that you will forget that it is there!
Do you feel like trying? Here's an easy-to-make soup recipe, its taste is peppery and its texture, velvety. Try it, you'll give me some news!
SQUASH - PARSNIP – GINGER SOUP
4 c. canola oil
2 Onions, diced
1 tip of ginger root (5x4 cm)
1 butternut squash cut into large pieces with peel
6 parsnips diced with peel
8 carrots cut into slices
4L or 16 cups of boiling water
2 tbsp. regular vegetable broth
- Heat the oil and fry the onion and ginger
- Add all vegetables and stir 5 to 10 minutes
- Cover with water and vegetable stock then bring to a boil
- Simmer for 1 hour over low heat with the cover on
- Pass everything to the hand blender
This soup will be a quick way to add color to your meal!